Monday, September 15, 2008

Tasty Tools: Bakeware - Low Fat Pumpkin Muffins

This month's Tasty Tools hosted by Joelen's Culinary Adventures, is bakeware.  Since everyone seems to be catching the Fall bug I decided to use my muffin pans and make Pumpkin Muffins.  This is my first time participating in the event (actually any event that has been advertised on the WC board) so I am very excited!

Okay so let's get to the muffins.  I have been trying to cut calories lately so these muffins are actually low fat and were inspired by a Weight Watchers friendly recipe that a friend told me about a few years ago.  The original recipe was good and extremely easy but I just wasn't crazy about the texture; they were very dense and the tops were always gooey.  I decided to do a little research and attempt to make the recipe a little more pleasing without making it unhealthy.  

I was very pleased with the outcome.  The muffins have more of a cake like texture and do a better job of resembling a full-fat muffin.  Pumpkin muffins that you don't feel guilty about eating, what more could you ask for??

Well, you could visit Joelen's Culinary Adventures to see a ton of other delicious recipes in the Tasty Tools September Round-Up! 
  
In they go!  I have to give the Tasty Tools a spotlight too.

A hill of pumpkin yumminess.


Low Fat Pumpkin Muffins
1 box of spice cake mix
1/2 cup instant oats
1 15 oz. can of pumpkin
1 to 2 egg whites
3/4 cup water (or milk)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine cake mix and instant oats.  Add pumpkin, egg whites, water (or milk) and vanilla extract.  Mix until well combined.  
Line your muffin pans with paper liners (I suggest spraying the liners with a little cooking spray since the recipe has no oil in it).  Fill the liners 3/4 of the way up.  Place in oven and bake 20-25 minutes. Recipe should make 24 muffins.

It doesn't get much easier than that!

5 comments:

ba said...

These sound awesome - I'm definitely going to try them!!!

Kira said...

Yum! These look really good and less complex than the recipe I had tagged to try.

Carly said...

Those look yummy!
E loves pumpkin, so in a fix, I mix together a box of spice cake and pumpkin and it bakes up perfectly.

Kristina said...

Feel free to make a road trip up to Tampa and come bake some of these for a pregnant chick! :-) Those look fantastic! We're doing great up here, just anxious for the little one to arrive. Good to hear from you - BEAUTIFUL kitchen, btw!

Kelly said...

Oh these look awesome. I want one now!